Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Power In A Name

For weeks I've ben debating if and how to write this post.  I've wanted to express my feelings for so long, now I'm finally letting it out
My name is Rebecca Ann Murdock.  Most people from the Springville area know me as Richard's daughter.
I always hated being know as a daughter of a man who was too weak to be a father. I felt like a plague where ever I went.  Being judged for something I had no control over was a constant trial for me.
A few weeks ago I was able to meet the man I share a last name with.  While I sat across the table from him I searched for something familiar, something to prove we are similar.  I found nothing but a common interest in guns.  With this realization I have finally found peace.
There really is power in a name
And I am now choosing that power.
I am the granddaughter of Jean L Hancock.  A woman who was unbelievable strong and loyal inside and outside the Church.  A person known widely in her community as a servant and a trust worthy friend.
Joseph Stacy Murdock was one of the first to be baptized and join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and a personal friend to both Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.
I am also a descendant of Soloman Hancock.  A man who made peace with the Native Americans in the state of Utah so the Mormons could live in peace.
The list goes on and on from Murdock to Lindsay to Hancock.
My lineage has strength and respect.  I come from multiple lines that carried power in the Church and in many communities.
I am no longer allowing the power of Richard's name hang over my head like a dark cloud.
I choose to take a step into the past and stand beside my true family's name with honor.
My name is Rebecca Ann Murdock and I have some pretty awesome guardian angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment